About Me

My photo
I currently live in Birmingham and come from Solihull. I have a love of all things crafty, developed from my mom's love of crafts as I was growing up. I currently work in marketing, but I'm a qualified Aromatherapist, and use to be self employed alongside a day job, might one day return to that. I try to fit in crafts when I can, I wish I had more time and money to spend on it! I enjoy researching my family history and finding out about the past. It can get frustrating, but is really rewarding when you have a break through! I hope to meet people with similar interests as me and swap advice/stories.

Friday 19 October 2012

Mary Berry Queen of Cakes

Baking again- this time inspired by The Great British Bake Off (I was backing Brendan!)

So I dug out a Mary Berry cake book, selected a few recipes to have a go at and here's the first one!

A twist on Devonshire Apple Cake, I added some pears to the cake as well as apples and omitted the almond essence.

450g of cooking apples (if making just an apple cake) or for an apple and pear cake, 2 apples and 2 pears
juice of 1/2 lemon
350g self raising
2 teaspoons baking powder
350g caster sugar (I used part golden caster sugar)
4 eggs
225g butter, melted
1-2 teaspoons of mixed spice (optional)

 Pre heat oven 180C / 350F / Gas 4
Grease and line 12 x 9 inch (30 x 23cm) roasting tin with greased greaseproof paper.



Peel and core apple and pear, thinly slice, squeeze lemon juice over them.
Place flour, baking powder and caster sugar into a large bowl. Beat the eggs together and stir into the flour with the melted butter.



Mix well then spread half the mixture into the tin. Arrange apples and pears over cake mixture.
Pour rest of the mixture over the top.


Bake for up to 1 1/4hrs (mine took around 55 minutes) Check the cake until it is golden brown, with a spring touch.







Leave to cool for 15minutes. Turn out and remove paper.


You can serve the cake hot with custard, ice cream or yoghurt, or leave to cool and eat on its own.
















This is a really light, moist cake and the fruit tastes really nice.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Sarah, I think the great british bake off has inspired all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds yummy! I'll have to get round to trying it one day... Hope you're doing OK. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this show. x You asked about waxed paper, I got mine from ebay, just put waxed paper in the search box and different quantities come up. also top tip, keep the heat gun constantly moving and don,t hold it too close to the candle. If you have another go share a picture on my facebook page I would look to see how you get on. ( there is a link on my blog for my FB)

    ReplyDelete